Events & News
FY2021 Bioscience Division Award Ceremony was held
Assistant Professor Nobutoshi Yamaguchi(Laboratory of Plant Stem Cell Regulation and Floral Patterning) received the FY2021 Bioscience Division Award. The FY2021 Bioscience Division award ceremony was held on July 29th at the Millennium Hall. Dr. Yamaguchi delivered a lecture in English to many students and staff members. This year, it was held on the same day as the Umesono Prize Award Ceremony
Epigenetic regulation of gene expression controls flower development and environmental responses in Arabidopsis thaliana
In a multicellular organism, cells are genetically homogenous but functionally heterogeneous due to the differential gene expression. Many of these differences in gene expression arise during development and in response to environmental cues. Epigenetics is the study of how cells control gene expression without changing the DNA sequence. Epigenetic researches usually include investigation of nuclear organization, DNA methylation, histone modification, and RNA transcription. Although a lot of epigenetic regulations are known in animals, the regulatory mechanisms underlying plant development and environmental responses are not fully understood.
Since 2015 when I joined NAIST as Assistant Professor, I have consistently investigated the roles of genes that involve in epigenetic regulations in plants. By making full use of biochemistry and bioinformatics approaches, as well as molecular genetic methods using various mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana, my research has elucidated gene regulatory networks underlying flower development and environmental responses. In this presentation, I will introduce my research over the years, with my deepest appreciation to my supervisor and key students at NAIST, as well as all the collaborators in Japan and overseas.
- Yamaguchi et al. (2021) H3K27me3 demethylases alter HSP22 and HSP17.6C expression in recurring heat in Arabidopsis. Nature Communications 12, 3480.
- Pelayo et al. (2021) One factor many systems: The floral homeotic protein AGAMOUS and its epigenetic regulatory mechanism. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 61, 102009.
- Zhu et al. (2020) TERMINAL FLOWER1-FD complex target genes and competition with FLOWERING LOCUS T. Nature Communications 11, 5118.
- Wu et al. (2019) Abscisic acid-dependent histone demethylation during postgermination growth arrest in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell and Environment 42, 2198-2214.
- Yamaguchi et al. (2018) Chromatin-mediate feed forward auxin biosynthesis in floral meristem determinacy. Nature Communications 9, 1.
- Yamaguchi et al. (2017) Fine-tuning of auxin homeostasis governs the transition from floral stem cell maintenance to gynoecium formation. Nature Communications 8, 1125.
（August 05, 2021）